Goodbye 2010, Hello 2011!
I hope last year was good for all of you, and if it wasn’t exactly good, I hope it made you stronger! C:
The new year coming up is a new adventure altogether, an adventure we may only see a bit of, from the distance. Face it with courage, wisdom and a smile on your face so you can overcome any obstacle, learn every lesson and enjoy it all the way!
To start this post, a recount of 2010!
One year ago, I said I didn’t know what would be of me this year. I feel pretty much the same about 2011, haha xD My life is so uncertain it’s ridiculous!
I set some goals for the rest of the year back then… How did that go?
Finally learn to manage my time effectively:
Definitely better than 2009, but still not good enough. My schedule that started so neat ended up being a mess. Biggest problem was miscalculations about how much time it took me to do things, rather than procrastination. Also frustration, depressions and getting blocked every now and then got in the way.
Participate in projects and get things out there to start gaining a “name”.
This I think I achieved C: I don’t have a “name”, though, lol. But people is starting to recognize my work for the projects I’ve worked on, regardless of the opinion they may have on my art.
Be able to work daily to keep a flow of income that’ll allow me to live on my own.
This, I achieved only partially, so I failed, lol. Because of what I mentioned early about the schedule mess, I got money each month, but sometimes a job I said I’d do within a month (so I expected to earn that month the amount I charged for that job) took me one month and a half or two months instead, so the monthly income was reduced. Thank goodness I didn’t have bills or debts to pay this year X_x;
So, to sum 2010 up:
- I worked on 6 VN projects, and 2 of them plus a 2009 one were released during the year. The other 4 are still under production.
- I sketched a lot, did backgrounds, went back to traditional media and tried to step away from my default style in the last part of the year.
- I earned my own money through all the year for the first time in my life, and that felt really nice ^^
- I invested a good part of the money on improving my working space, my working equipment and my reference library.
- I renovated my studio room, so at least I’d feel comfortable while working all day in there.
- I was interviewed on a local newspaper about my VN work.
- Got into a video game diploma course/program for 2011.
- I wasn’t able to manage my time as I would have liked and miscalculated the time it takes me to do things, leading to schedule mess and frustration.
- I wasn’t able to save money D: My monthly income wasn’t constant and I wouldn’t be able to live by myself like that if I had to ._.
- I didn’t complete many drawings that weren’t for work. I didn’t manage to complete any personal projects of any kind this year, even though I started a few
- I’m still not comfortable working from home all day >_o;
And that’s pretty much what happened this year.
Oh, right, report from the last Work or Die: UTTER FAILURE. Christmas, house renovations and other stuff got in the way and I could’nt focus at all =___=;
I already mentioned my plans for 2011.
I’m looking forward to the releases of The Parasol Festival and Winter in Fairbrook early in 2011, and to whatever gets done with Nexus next year
I’m also looking forward to work on Kansei and try out this more ‘serious’ style I’m trying to do with it C:
I may contribute to something else here in my own country. I’ll go once or twice a week to the place they’re working at during January and see if we can make it work with me there (they have space and budget issues, so it may be a problem…).
Now, my goals for 2011 are the following!
- Manage my schedule efficiently.
I’m sure if I finally manage to do that, I’ll be able to prevent overlapping projects, general schedule mess and unwanted delays that end up making me stressed and my clients frustrated. And still have time for myself , see my boyfriend and have something of a social life.
- Manage my money efficiently.
In 2011 I’ll have the diploma course to pay for every month, so I no longer can be lax with how much I earn with the “it’s ok, I don’t have anything to pay for anyway”. I’ll change my spending habits so I no longer spend all my money on whims and instant gratification so I’m actually able to save part of what I earn for bigger/more important things and for when the times get rough.
- Develop and expand my skills, and be more proactive and forward.
I always think I’m not good enough and I’m embarrassed to show my work around, leave alone apply for jobs (it doens’t help I’m also shy with people I don’t know Dx). I want to change that so I’ll be proud of what I’m able to do without fearing what people may say about it, and just go for it.
- Complete at least one personal project (of any kind).
Something I’d really like to do. I’m not sure how I’ll make it happen, or when, but I’ll try to squeeze it somewhere when I get on track with all of the above goals.
I don’t know what awaits me in 2011. I hope it will be good! Regardless, I’ll try my best, so the me from the end of 2011 will be better, wiser, stronger, and happier
Let’s do our best in 2011!!
Tags: drawing, Life, New Year, sketch